When the temperature drops, there's nothing like a warm, cozy bedroom where you can shut the door, be yourself and just relax at the end of a long day. This winter, treat yourself to a bedroom "getaway" that's comfortable, restful and beautiful.
Step 1: Get a great bed.
You spend a third of your life in it; buy the best mattress you can afford. Choose a frame with a headboard that's comfortable to lean back on when you're reading or watching TV.
Step 2: Invest in quality bedding.
- Pick high-thread count linens for smooth, luxurious comfort, or try some super-soft flannel sheets for extra snuggle factor.
- Stock up on lots of pillows and a fluffy duvet. Down, wool, silk and synthetic fill are all great options for winter warmth.
- Incorporate textures like velvet, wool and satin with blankets, throws and pillows.
- Don't forget the bed skirt – it's a great finishing touch and it hides whatever's under the bed.
Step 3: Lose the clutter.
There's nothing relaxing about dusty stacks of magazines or piles of laundry. Get rid of stuff that doesn't have to be in your room, and organize the rest into closets, night tables and armoires so your space is uncluttered and serene.
Step 4: Colour it peaceful.
Paint the room a soft, pleasing shade. Highlight one wall with a slightly bolder colour to create an instant "headboard" for your bed or showcase photos. Paint your ceiling a lighter version of the wall colour for a cozy feel.
- Cool colours, such as pale blue, green, and lavender are calming, and they make the room feel airy and spacious.
- Warm colours, like creamy yellow or soft pink are peaceful and feminine.
- Neutrals are soothing and elegant, and they go with anything.
- Stay away from bold colours, since they tend to stimulate rather than relax you.
Step 5: Rearrange the furniture.
This step is easy – and free! Just putting your bed in a different spot can be surprisingly rejuvenating. Try placing it on an angle for an unexpected twist.
Step 6: Create a seating area.
Get a comfortable chair with an ottoman, add a reading lamp, and you'll have a lovely reading corner that's perfect for some quiet solitude.
Step 7: Control the light.
Invest in some simply styled blackout curtains to keep out the sun. Install soft lighting with a dimmer for a romantic touch. For a hit of unexpected poshness, hang a chandelier above the bed.
Step 8: Don't forget the floor.
Protect your tootsies from the cold with a soft, cushy carpet or area rugs with an extra-thick underpad.
When the snow is piling up outside, there's no better place to end your day than in a luxurious bedroom. This, more than any other space in your home, is about you. Make it yours!
What is thread count?
Thread count is the number of vertical and horizontal threads in one square inch of fabric. The higher the count, the denser, softer and more durable the fabric.
Clean and white
For a crisp boutique hotel look, try all-white linens. All your sheets will "go" with each other, so no worries if a pillowcase goes missing. If anything gets stained, you can bleach it.