Today, thanks to home improvement and do-it-yourself TV shows, most home owners realize the importance of what receiving a high appraisal for their home represents. Appraisers today will tell you that the important thing to do, as your goal is to receive a high appraisal, is to keep your home looking as cared for and updated as possible.
Some great secrets to a high home appraisal include:
- Have your lot surveyed before listing it
- Find the title policy to any leaseholds or easements on your property
- Thoroughly clean your house inside and out, making it look prime and exquisite with well-kept lawns, gardens, and exterior finishes
- Write up a list of major improvements to your home (a “brag list”, if you will), while highlighting the benefits of these improvements, such as lower heating costs due to the new furnace
- Itemize the above renovation costs
- List the personal property to be sold with the home
- Have a current tax bill available for the Appraiser
- Provide all home inspection reports that have been prepared on your home
Also, remember to present a current listing of your home, as well as the agreement with your real estate agent or brokerage, so that the Appraiser has a well-rounded picture of what your house has to offer compared with other homes in your neighbourhood.
The best trick to receiving a high appraisal is to ensure your home is the best home on the block, which means it sparkles from the tip of the roof to the darkest corner of your basement. By presenting a clear and updated home to the Appraiser, you are sure to receive the home appraisal you have been looking for.