Terrequity Children,s Foundation (TCF) is pleased to announce its most recent contribution to the Children's Wish Foundation of Canada.
Lake Scugog Camp is a non-profit organization and has been in operation since 1931. They aim to bring summer camping experience to children, youth and mothers who are experiencing financial hardship. The staff member and campers are part of a safe and caring community where they learn and grow together in a supportive environment.
Each summer, Lake Scugog Camp serves approximately 320 children, youth and mothers. These individuals attend camp for 7 or 10 day sessions were they:
- Provide a 2 to 1 ratio of campers to stff allowing individualized programming;
- Establish a safe community of belonging for campers and staff;
- Model positive behaviour and actions;
- Encourage and promote citizen engagement throughout the year;
- Respect and acknowledge the individuality of each camper and encourage them to utilize their strengths and abilities;
- Plan and facilitate our programming to meet the unique needs of each individual'
- Encourage personal problem solving and self regulation in a community environment;
- Promote self-efficacy through the elimination of expectations and guidelines that restrict and discourage children;
- Celebrate the small victories that each of our campers have, in hopes that they continue to challenge themselves in their home communities;
- Provide an experiential "hands on" approach to the learning of outdoor living; and
- Provide a high-nature experience for children, youth and mothers living in low-nature urban setting with the goal of minimizing the signs of symptoms of children's mental health disorders.
Terrequity Children's Foundation donation will sponsor two children to attend Lake Scugog Camp in the summer of 2012. The average cost for one child to attend this camp is $880.00 which will cover their lodging, meals, activities and staffing.
TCF would like to thank Binoy Luckoo for recommending that it support Lake Scugog Camp. Binoy is a member of the Board of Directors for the Rotary Club of Toronto which they work to help to maintain and make any needed repairs of the Lake Scugog Camp. Binoy spends 3 days each year cleaning, repairing and painting the cabins & camp grounds at Lake Scugog Camp.